The Consumer Protection Council (CPC) by its enabling Act engages in the following activities
- The Council makes presentations to various audiences, delivers lectures and speaks to individuals and groups in and out of office, conducts workshops and seminars;
- Broadcast messages on radio and television.
- Place, distribute or display consumer sensitization information in the public domain through print, electronic media, billboards, journal, pamphlets etc
The Council currently has several channels through its Consumer Education Department to reach consumers such as
- TV Programme – Consumer Voice (Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) International Channel, Every Thursday 8pm)
- Radio Programme – Consumer Speaks (Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN), Every Thursday 12:30pm)
- One on one engagement through town hall meetings, Theatre For Development (TFD), Community dialogue sessions etc
- Workshops, conferences and lectures.
ELIMINATING HAZARDOUS PRODUCTS FORM THE MARKET AND ENSURE THAT PRODUCTS AND SERVICES COMPLY WITH REQUIRED STANDARDS / SPECIFICATIONS:
- The Council carries out surveillance and enforcement activities
- Conducts quality tests and analysis on products and services.
- Compels producers of goods and services to adhere to quality standards/specifications.
- Issues guidelines, regulations etc to producers or providers of products and services.
- Ban the sale, distribution and advertisement of substandard and defective products and services.
- Prosecute offenders, when and where necessary.
PROVIDING SPEEDY REDRESS TO CONSUMER COMPLAINTS
- The Council receives and acts on consumer complaints
- Negotiates, mediates and conciliates consumer complaints
- Obtains compensation, relief, safeguards etc for injured consumers or communities.
- Applies to court to protect the right of consumers
PROMOTING CONSUMERS’ INTEREST:
- The Council carries out surveys to determine consumer satisfaction / expectations
- Collaboration with sector regulators, NGOs and all stakeholders in achieving better regulations and standards in the interest of consumers. (List of Registered NGOs with the CPC)